Learning by example from experience of Swedish development work

Masa flew in from Tokyo to Stockholm
Kenji and his wife Kate came in from Mississippi











Before we left on this trip I had been contacted by researchers in Japan and Mississippi asking if we could help them observe PE classes where kids with autism were participating. I talked to Bengt (my husband) if he could help out. Boy, did he ever. He immediately opened a document and started filling it with program details, appointment suggestions, school contacts, basically giving it a structure. This is what Bengt does and he's learned it through his work with government agencies related to labor and development in international collaboration. This is helping me know how to make things happen as well. Khaleda has extensive experience but I am slow on the uptake. I think this is how adult learning takes place. You have to directly get involved and experience certain things first hand, mistakes and all, to be able to develop your own understanding. 

I wanted to share this since it was such a positive experience and it will further our department's work which builds on international collaboration. My only regret is that I didn't have more time to follow along on the school visits with them and I had forgotten to offer them cookies;

Thanks Kenji for letting me share this!

"Dear Liz and Bengt,

Thank you so much for everything! All of us safely came back to Mississippi or Tokyo.
We learned a lot from you and visiting the school. I believe Masa can write a good report. People are so nice anywhere in Sweden and it touched our heart. My main research includes cross-cultural research, and I may have some questions about Swedish culture in a near future. In one of my data sets, Sweden is the highest in the world on valuing freedom but at the same time you have good welfare systems. I am curious how you achieve both because the US is struggling to have a universal healthcare system. I may ask some questions in a future!

If you have anything you need help on collecting data in the US or Japan or anything, please feel free to ask us. I know you also took a picture but I attached one. If I get anything from Masa, I will send it to you. I will never forget your hospitality. Thank you so much again for everything!

Kenji

Kenji Noguchi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology
University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast

730 E. Beach Blvd,Long Beach, MS 39560"



Kommentarer